Thursday, July 2, 2015

Italy Day 4

We decided to take a day trip to Venice because it was really close, and because you should see Venice at least once in your lifetime.
The train to Venice is not cheap, so to cut down the cost, we ended up buying tickets that had us leaving early in the morning and returning later in the evening. This way the tickets cost us about 34 euros a person.
Can you tell I don't give a crap about the picture? lol I was wore out; we had walked a lot that day.
The train ride took about 90 minutes so by the time we got there we were ready for breakfast. We started heading towards the inside of the town because we knew that the further we got away from the train station, the better. 
We found this little place to eat and got orange juice, cappuccino and the best jelly-filled croissant I have ever eaten in my life. Ever.
That is also where we realize that, considering there is no green anywhere in Venice, there are a shitload of dogs. I especially love the ones that were being carried in the purses.

We had a few things on our list that had to be done.
1) Go on a gondola ride:
I saw this nice Gondolier standing there, so I walked up and checked his prices and it was 80 euros per Gondola and it could seat 6 people. By the way, that was the usual price for all of them so it doesn't matter where you ride it. We wanted to ride on the inside of town and so after asking him about the price, we decided to get that done right away, before it got busy. I am really glad we did because later on it was packed.

Let me say, I always thought the Gondola ride would be cheesy as all get out, but I am still glad we did it. We got to see a lot of cool stuff and Paolo (our driver) had a lot of knowledge about the different houses. He also told us that he was 4th generation Gondolier and that he had bought his own boat for 30,000 euros.
As we were riding past these houses we could see that on the bottom of the doorways there were seashells everywhere and that people were constantly working on restoring the buildings.
After the the boat ride, we headed towards Rialto Bridge and started heading towards the Piazza San Marco; it didn't take us long to get there but it was so full of people that we didn't stay long.

This clock has 24 hours on it -- really cool!
After people watching, we walked back towards the inside of town and started looking for places to eat. We passed a crap ton of places that had signs with tourist menus so we knew not to go there. The food is usually shitty and way too expensive so we just kept walking in and out of these little alleys until we found the perfect place.

 These were the owners and also the chef.......I don't remember taking that picture.


Everywhere we went we would order uno Litro of the red house wine, which was always served cold and was always really good.
When we were halfway through eating, it started to rain so we kept ordering wine and eating, and after 2 hours, we were in really high spirits and ready to head out into the now drizzling rain.
It started raining again. I am talking end-of-days rain, so we kept ducking into stores and doorways.

So, this crazy-ass looking dude had some really nice stuff and we did end up buying earrings and purses there, but he was so high that talking to him was like talking to a toddler.
Nicole had decided that she wanted a mask, so we went into one of the 1000 stores that sell them and bought some. The lady was really nice so of course we took a picture with her.
We slowly headed back to the train station.
Arrivederci Venezia,

No comments:

Post a Comment